Sunday, July 31, 2011

Week 6: Reflections – Learning is something students do, Not something done to students

Dear Donna, Jodi & e-friends,

Experience with Interactive Powerpoint Presentation

This week I start my reflection with a beautiful statement made by Alfie Kohn, ‘learning is something students do, not something done to students’. Yes, this week I got more ideas on how I can make my powerpoint presentation more interactive. I observed the power point presentations that my respected instructors Donna and Jodi sent us. I also observed other PPTs prepared by my e-friends. I am proud of them they all are praiseworthy. And now I have come to the conclusion that interactive powerpoint presentations are useful for eliciting ideas from the learners, motivating them for learning, letting them for broaden their knowledge with classroom discussion and assessing their own current performance in the classroom.

Dealing with Large Class

The second task I did this week is I consulted with the reading materials related to using technology in large classes. I found the articles very informative. I got more insights for handling large classes. I think large classes are not only the burden but also the fun; it is only we teachers who can make the classes boring or live. I see large classes are full of potentialities so the thing is how we use such potentialities. While using technology, we should involve the learners in interaction. No doubt, as large class is heterogeneous in nature, the teacher should enhance collaboration, participation and acceptance of the individual potentiality. For dealing with this issue I consulted with the following sites including the given ones.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6742683_benefits-teaching-large-class_.html
http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/articles/teaching-large-classes
http://www.englishclub.com/teaching-tips/teaching-large-classes.htm

Technology –related changes in my class

Regarding the implementation of technology in my class, I have just started to use interactive powerpoint presentation. I took four sessions to all the learners of English Access Microscholarship Program, Gorkha Center, Gorkha, Nepal. The sessions were all related to the use of technology in communication and learning different matters including English language and culture through internet. I encouraged my learners to create yahoo account/ Google account and facebook account. Now they all have their own accounts. I have added them in my list under Access Program. I gave them some of the important sites for English learning. Now they are familiar to http://www.youtube.com/, www.google.com, and some other few websites. I have also shown them my blog and some sample WebQuests. In my class too I use computers, TV and CD player for involving them listening to music and English language. I am using the listening CDs published by Cambridge University Press as recommended by the Access Curriculum. My learners also watch films once a week. I have started to keep the record of their progress in language learning and using technology. So far I know I have just started to implement the technology in my class so I will share more about the changes in the week to come.

Thank you all.
Kamal

No comments:

Post a Comment