Sunday, August 7, 2011

Week: 7 – Reflections - Learner Autonomy: Isn’t it the Demand of 21st Century?

Dear Donna & e-friends,

This week remained a very fruitful week for me. I went through the articles “What is Learner Autonomy and How it be Fostered” by Dimitrious Thanasoulas, and “Learner Autonomy; Bird-in-the-hand or Birrd-in-the-Bush” by Samuel P-H Sheu. I found them very informative. As Dimitrious has put forward it is the shift from traditional teacher-centered teaching learning approach to modern learner-centered approach.

As cited in Thanasoulas, Holec (1983) states, it is the process of developing “the capacity to take charge of one’s own learning”, in the learners. In other words, this approach encourages a learner to be fully responsible for his own learning. He/she himself/ herself is the maker of meaning. It is a self-directed learning and the learner is solely responsible for making decision on what to learn, how to learn, when to learn and which speed to learn in keeping himself or herself in the framework of syllabus given. I also found Sheu so interesting that it is fully related to the sharing of his own experience. I think it is a very good exemplary lesson for the teachers and learners who are teaching and learning English anywhere in the world.

For enhancing learner autonomy, Thanasoulas and Sheu, including others have talked about some of the techniques. Self reports, diary writing, self assessment, reflective activities and classroom reflection are the useful ways of it. They can be used even in the absence of technology. WebQuest, Blog and CALL are very useful where there is the access of computer technology.


Besides this, this week I got some experience on the use of one computer in the classroom. This is very fruitful for us since we don’t have more computers in our context. We can use one computer for better learning. Similarly, I read some of the ideas for preparing project plan. I selected my partner to whom I have to work together for our project plan.
Now I am eagerly waiting for the next week!

Greetings
Kamal

No comments:

Post a Comment